The following resources can help you develop a solid business plan. SCEC has compiled a list of resources to assist you in writing your business plan, and some stock templates to make getting started easier.
- Maine Agricultural Data — Economic and agricultural data compiled by the USDA’s Economic Research Service.
- Center for Workforce Resource and Information — Features business and economic data, labor market trends and forecasts, reports and information including a directory of Maine employers listed with the U.S. Department of Labor.
- County Economic Profiles — County-specific data from the Maine Center for Workforce Research & Information.
United States Data
- Bureau of Economic Analysis — State and regional economic and social statistics in a range of categories.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics — Labor and job data from the US Department of Labor. Also measures trends in industry and manufacturing nationwide.
- US Census Bureau: Economic Indicators— Economic indicators from the US Census Bureau.
- Federal Reserve Economic Data — An online database of more than 45,000 economic data from over 40 national, international, public, and private sources.
Writing a Business Plan
- Bplans.com — Advice and information to help you write your business plan.
- Center for Business Planning — Offers business planning guides, samples, tips, links to other resources for entrepreneurs.
- Entrepreneur.com — Articles and advice on business plan writing.
- Growthink Business Plan Help — Articles for writing a business plan, also features advice on writing business plans for specialized sectors from hotels to restaurants to bakeries, and more.
- My Own Business: Business Plan Guide — Includes tips, a sample plan, and reasons for writing a business plan.
- NOLO Business Plans — Offers a brief walk through of what makes a good business plan. Also included are links to business plan FAQs, articles, and more.
- PlanWare Business Planning Guide — Articles, tips and templates to help you craft a better business plan.
Sample Business Plans and Templates
- Office Business & Financial Planning Templates — A variety of downloadable business and financial planning templates that you can import and customize in Microsoft Office tools (Word, Access, Excel, etc).
- Sample Business Plans from Bplans.com — Hundreds of sample business plans for a wide range of businesses. All samples are free!
- SCORE Template Gallery — Sample business plans and financial statements for new and established businesses.
- Starting a Biz: Resources and Assistance for Entrepreneurs — Thousands of free templates to help you start your business.