Job Description: PTAC Advisor
Employment Category: Full time, Exempt
Salary Range: $46,000 to $52,000 per annum based on education and experience
Job Location: Machias
Start date: March 1, 2018 or ASAP
SCEC’s mission is to create jobs and prosperity in Washington County, Maine. The PTAC Advisor furthers this mission by helping businesses in Washington County sell services and products to the government. The Advisor is part of a state-wide team coordinated by the Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) at the Eastern Maine Development Corporation.
Responsibilities include training and one-on-one counseling with small business clients on becoming qualified bidders and successful contractors to federal, state, and local government agencies. This position requires research skills and knowledge of how to build professional relationships with government agencies and prime contractors. While experience in government contracting is preferred, we welcome candidates with business counseling experience or professional experience working with businesses
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Guide businesses through the process of finding, bidding, and performing on government contracts and subcontracts and assessing their capacity/suitability for government contracting
- Assist business with: registrations and certifications related to selling to the government; interpretation of regulations; finding opportunities; marketing to government buyers; proposal development; post-award activities and more
- Develop and deliver workshops on specific topics of interest in government procurement
- Develop and maintain relationships with federal, state and local government agencies and prime contractors, as well as with other business resource providers throughout the region
- Research and keep up to date on relevant contracting opportunities and regulations
- Keep detailed and accurate records of counseling activities and client progress
- Conduct professional activities in accordance with the highest standards of ethics and integrity and avoid any real or perceived conflicts of interest
- Job entails at least 60% travel on a weekly basis, reliable transportation is required. Most travel will occur throughout Washington County; however, some statewide travel will be required as well
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong organization skills with the ability to manage priorities and deadlines
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
- Good customer relations skills including patience, politeness and persistence
- Comfort speaking to large or small groups of people
- Proficiency with web browsers, e-mail, client, word processing, spread sheet and contact relationship management software. Experience with NeoSerra is preferred
- Leadership skills and the ability to work with a diverse team
- Self-directed, self-motivated and enthusiastic about the work
The PTAC Counselor reports to the SCEC Assistant Director.
Qualifications: Minimum qualifications include a Bachelor’s degree and three (3) years or more of business counseling experience or professional experience working with businesses. Preferred experience includes three (3) years or more of government contracting or program management experience, either within government, private industry or a PTAC. Knowledge of and commitment to Washington County and its economic development is highly valued.
Application Process: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three (3) references by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail (SCEC; 7 Ames Way; Machias, ME 04654). The deadline for applications is Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 5pm.
SCEC is an equal opportunity employer.