The deadline for applications is Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 5pm.
Job Description: Government Procurement Counselor
Employment Category: Full time, Exempt
Salary Range: $46,000 to $52,000 per annum based on education and experience
Job Location: Machias or Calais
Start date: June 1, 2017 or ASAP
SCEC’s mission is to create jobs and prosperity in Washington County, Maine. The Government Procurement Counselor furthers this mission by helping businesses in Washington County sell services and products to the government. The Government Procurement Counselor is part of a state-wide team coordinated by the Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) at the Eastern Maine Development Corporation.
Specific responsibilities include training and one-on-one counseling with small business clients on becoming qualified bidders and successful contractors to federal, state, and local government agencies. This position requires strong client counseling skills and the ability to build professional relationships with government agencies and prime contractors. While experience in the government contracting marketplace is preferred, we welcome candidates with experience as a business counselor, or with extensive experience working with small business clients in a legal or financial setting, and who possess a strong interest and aptitude for learning government contracting regulations and procedures and then teaching them to small businesses.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Guide businesses through the process of finding, bidding, and performing on government contracts and subcontracts and assessing their capacity/suitability for government contracting, through individualized counseling and ongoing communication
- Assist business with: government registrations and certifications related to selling to the government; interpretation of regulations; finding opportunities; marketing to government buyers; proposal development; post-award activities and more
- Develop and deliver workshops on specific topics of interest in government procurement
- Develop and maintain relationships with federal, state and local government agencies and prime contractors, as well as with other business resource providers throughout the region
- Research and keep up to date on relevant contracting opportunities, process or regulatory changes, procurement systems, and multiple award schedules as required
- Keep detailed and accurate records of counseling activities and client progress
- Conduct professional activities in accordance with the highest standards of ethics and integrity and avoid any real or perceived conflicts of interest
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated organizational skills, including the ability to plan, prioritize and perform multiple tasks in an efficient manner
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrated good customer relations skills including patience, politeness and persistence
- Comfort speaking to large or small groups of people
- Proficiency with web browsers, e-mail, client, word processing, spread sheet and contact relationship management software. Experience with NeoSerra is preferred
- Ability to collaborate with other PTAC Counselors and work well with co-workers, and supervisory staff
- Exercise good judgment in safeguarding confidential or sensitive information and adhere to high standards of confidentiality and honesty
- Job entails at least 60% travel on a weekly basis, reliable transportation is required. Most travel will occur throughout Washington County; however some statewide travel will be required as well
- Work independently with minimal supervision
CRITERIA FOR EVALUATION:
Computer skills – Skilled in the use of computers, adapts to new technology, learns new programs quickly, uses computers to improve productivity.
Customer service – Handles customer questions and complaints, communicates with customers, handles service problems politely and efficiently, always available for customers, follows procedure to solve customer problems, understands company products and services, maintains pleasant and professional image.
Dependability – Meets commitments, works independently, accepts accountability, handles change, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, meets attendance/punctuality requirements.
Integrity/Ethics – Deals with others in a straightforward and honest manner, is accountable for actions, maintains confidentiality, supports company values, conveys good news and bad.
Teamwork – Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, helps team leader to meet goals, welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere.
Communication – Communicates well both verbally and in writing, creates accurate and punctual reports, delivers presentations, shares information and ideas with others, has good listening skills.
Customer Focus– Builds customer confidence, is committed to increasing customer satisfaction, sets achievable customer expectations, assumes responsibility for solving customer problems, ensures commitments to customers are met, solicits opinions and ideas from customers, responds to internal customers.
Decision Making/Judgment – Recognizes problems and responds, systematically gathers information, sorts through complex issues, seeks input from others, addresses root cause of issues, makes timely decisions, can make difficult decisions, uses consensus when possible, communicates decisions to others.
Job Knowledge – Understands duties and responsibilities, has necessary job knowledge, has necessary technical skills, understands company mission/values, keeps job knowledge current, is in command of critical issues.
Planning – Develops realistic plans, sets goals, aligns plans with company goals, plans for and manages resources, creates contingency plans, coordinates/cooperates with others.
The PTAC Counselor reports to the SCEC Assistant Director.
Qualifications: Minimum qualifications include a Bachelor’s degree and three (3) years or more of business counseling experience or a Bachelor’s degree and seven (7) years or more working with small business clients in a legal, accounting, banking, or consulting role. Preferred experience includes three (3) years or more of Federal government contracting or program management experience, either within government, private industry or a PTAC. Knowledge of and commitment to Washington County and its economic development is highly valued.
Application Process: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three (3) references by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail (SCEC; 7 Ames Way; Machias, ME 04654). The deadline for applications is Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 5pm.
SCEC is an equal opportunity employer.